Thursday, January 10, 2013

Web Watch

Moving forward into 2013, as blog manager for ICF- Chicago, I will be reading various blogs that are focused on Coaching and sharing what I find that I believe is worth sharing! Feel free to join in! If you find anything on the World Wide Web that peaks your interest that you think might also peak ours, please share!

Here’s what I discovered this week:

4 Tips to “Auto-Coaching” by Eric Marin (Ecological Leadership) was featured on the ICF blog on December 19th and features four very compelling questions that any individual [originally developed for managers] who is “struggling” could use to essentially “coach” oneself. 

1. Why am I triggered?
2. What do I really want?
3. Why is it important for me to invest time & energy in what I do in this situation? 
4. What do I do now which is in my power to positively change or influence the situation?

There is a beautiful simplicity to this approach. 
The author has provided really specific descriptions for each of the four questions that anyone could understand and incorporate into their daily assessment practice. 
I was trained as a Coach to use WHY questions very sparingly, if at all, so I  would reconfigure questions 1 and 3 to keep it really moving forward and action focused. 
[….maybe, What specifically is occurring right now that is making this situation “a struggle”?] 
I would further simplify question #3…What really matters here…aligns with your value system? What would I to say “yes” to and what would I need to say “no” to make something different happen?....I will definitely be pondering this further as I really think this is a great tool that clients can use to not only gain clarity regarding their “gremlins”, but overcome them.  

Respectfully,
Marggie Paris LSW, BCC

No comments :

Post a Comment